Friday, September 10, 2010

Which format should introduce first?





As a teacher, if I am introducing the number34 through concrete (realistic) materials,such as bundles of sticks, I will show them with three bundles of 10 sticks in each bundle and four individual sticks at first. I will encourage them to count, and ask how many tens are there? How many ones are there? Since they can visualise the representations, I will show them that there are three tens and four ones(numbers in tens and ones). Then I will show the place value chart that states that there are 3 tens and 4 ones. Then I will explain to them that three tens is thirty and four ones is four. So it is 30 and 4(expanded notation). So it is together 34(In numerals). Then I will introduce the number word.
Hence my steps will be:
1. 3tens and 4 ones - the numbers in tens and ones
2. 3tens and 4 ones in chart - using place value
3. 30 and 4 - expanded notation
4. 34 - numerals
5. thirty-four - number words

No comments:

Post a Comment