Sunday, September 19, 2010

Chapter-7

Before I started reading, I think that computer is the only technology I will choose. But when I had read through the book, the technology that I liked is the calculator. The chapter is an eye opener for me. As a preschool teacher I seldom use calculators. I think calculators are for secondary students who have to do differentiation, integration, graphings etc. Now I understand that calculator is much more than a device for calculation. It can be used to develop concepts and enhance problem solving and drills, improve attitudes and motivation. The book also states that "count by ones" on the calculator can reinforce students, oral counting, identification of patterns, and can even be used by one child to count thier classmates as they enter into the class room. One quote that caught my eyes was, ' Research results reveal that students who frequently use calculator have better attitudes towardsthe subject of mathematics" (Ellington,2003). So in the  future I will also use calculators to reinforce the number concepts to my students.

The activity which I like from the link is Creating, Describing and Analyzing Patterns to recognize relationship and make predictions. Through this E-game children will make patterns,describe the patterns and finally they can extend the patterns. This activity will enhance their critical thinking. I am using this activity with concreate materials as well as soft ware. Our centre is using I- Pal soft ware for children. This programme has theme base math activities in which children can do different math concepts including patterns. They are enjoying doing that.

No comments:

Post a Comment