Friday, September 10, 2010

Review of chapter 1 and 2

The main points that stuck in my mind after I had read the first chapter were the three out of six different principles and standards for school mathematics. They are 'teaching', 'learning' and 'technology' principles. I strongly agree with the authors that effective mathematics teaching requires understanding what students know and need to learn. Then as a teacher I can challenge and support them to learn it well. Students must learn mathematics with understanding, actively building new knowledge from experience and prior knowledge.
Another point that stuck in mind after I have read the chapter is about the five process standards such as 'problem solving', reasoning and proof', 'communication', 'connections', and 'representation'. All these five aspects are important for educators.
For example:
Problem solving standard builds new mathematical knowledge
Reasoning and proof standard develop and evaluate mathematical arguments and proofs
Communication standards organize and consolidate student's mathematical thinking through communication
Connection standards recognize and use connections among mathematicall ideas
Representation standards create and use representations to organize, record and communicate mathematical
 ideas.
My first math teacher was my father. He taught me about the cocept of counting, adding, subtracting, sorting and measuring with concrete meterials. The interest to learn mathematics started from those days and I still enjoying doing it. So I believe that as early childhood educators, we have a high influence on young children and so we have to teach mathematics in a fun way so that their interests will be kindled. I also believe that including technologies will help most of the children to develop interest towards learning. One of the example I posted in the site shows how 4year olds are learning sorting using a movie. I shoot this movie with the help of some older children and four year old children. All the children were excited and most of them were able to sort according to three attributes at the same time after I introduce the concept of sorting through this movie.

I agree with the authors about the importance of creating an environment for young children to learn which is mentioned in the chapter two. I also created an interesting environment by occupying my math corner with different math activities that children can do the problems in a fun way. I will also make sure that I will change the activities every two weeks. My math corner and some of the activities in the corner are posted in the site.
I believe in the constructivist theory in which it states that integrated networks are both the product of constructing knowledge and the tools with which additional new knowledge can be constructed. I also agreed with the authors about building new knowledge from prior knowledge. So I will try to provide opprtunities for my students to talk about mathematics, build in opportunities for reflective thought, encourage multiple approaches, treat errors as opportunities for learning, and scaffold  a new content.


Math corner










Activity
(Fill in the missing
numbers)

Activities in the Math corner
Weighing balance
Pizza- introducing
fraction
Addition games,
Patterning
Pizza game-counting& board games

Board game

Counting, adding,
 counting backwards



 

 Pizza game

Counting



Addition game



  



1. Addition game
   (Munch math)







2. Dice for the game










3. Covering the answer with the counter







4. Who could get all the numbers at first is the winner








Floor game- counting upto 30 in a fun way

                                                                                     
Math movie-sorting

No comments:

Post a Comment