Saturday, September 25, 2010

Geometry

The class about  area, angles and shapes was very interesting. After the quiz when Dr.Yeap started to challenge us to tell our strategy, I thought there was only one way to solve the problem. But when different students came with different solutions, surprised me. This made me realise that as an early childhood educator, I have to give opportunity to my students to think widely and to find their own solutions. Creating different shapes with tangrams was interesting as I usually asks my students to create different shapes with it. But when I started to create square with all the seven pieces took some time to solve it.When the lecturer asked to  find the total angle of a pentagon, I use the three triangle method as shown in the figure.




When different students come up with different solutions such as a triangle and rectangle, triangle and trapezium, or with six triangles I realised that all of us are unique and we think differently as same as our own students do in our class.

No comments:

Post a Comment